Happy New Year Hilltoppers! We hope 2023 is a good year for all of us. With support from donors, members and volunteers we were able to accomplish the following in 2022:
- Planted, mulched and protected 100+ native trees and shrubs
- Prisoners Pond Forest Regeneration site
- Worked with the NJ Invasive Species Strike Team to map and eradicate high-priority invasives
- Primarily tree of heaven, porcelain-berry vine, Linden viburnum, jetbead, Japanese angelica tree in the southeastern quadrant of the Reservation
- Cleared ~1/3 acre of invasives and dead trees near Highlands apartment complex
- Was fully infested with porcelain-berry, now ready for native tree-planting
- Updated / installed Reservation signage
- Cleaned eastern and western entrance kiosks and moved to more visible locations, posted “Support the Conservancy” announcements
- Installed “Support the Conservancy” signs on service road and at major trail intersections
- Continued maintaining the Reservation trails network
- Cleared blowdowns, cut back overgrowth, repaired worn / eroded trail beds
Our priorities for 2023 are to:
- Continue wildlife habitat restoration efforts
- Invasives control
- Native tree- and shrub-planting
- Improve public access
- Upgrade western route
- Continue trails network maintenance
- Remove more “institutional leftovers” as outlined in the Hilltop Master Plan
- Demolish twin blue decommissioned water tanks at northern end of ridgetop road
How do we fund and implement all this great work?
We rely on membership dues and donations from local residents like you, as well as service groups and volunteers. Your financial support enables the Conservancy to purchase supplies and services, and to conduct events and projects in the Reservation.
Membership dues for 2023 are as follows:
Single membership: $30
Family membership: $50
If you’d like to pay electronically (fast, secure, convenient), you can use PayPal via the Donate button on our web site: https://www.hilltopconservancy.org/support-hilltop/become-a-member/
If you prefer to pay via check, please make it payable to “Hilltop Conservancy” and mail it to:
Hilltop Conservancy, Inc.
c/o Theresa Trapp, Treasurer
34 Depot Street
Verona, NJ 07044
We also welcome one-time donations!
Your continued support is GREATLY appreciated and will allow the Conservancy to continue our volunteer efforts to care for and improve the Hilltop for the enjoyment of all, now and in the future.
Signed, The Hilltop Conservancy Officers
Theresa Trapp – Treasurer and Vice President, Restoration
Chris Lawrence – Secretary and Vice President, Public Relations
James Kelly – Vice President, Communications
Geordie Smith – Vice President, Trails