There are a number of additional improvements that could be made in the Hilltop Reservation, for which we need volunteers who are willing to take charge and manage their implementation. These potential projects require some planning and team coordination skills, but not necessarily a lot of labor or expertise.
See project list below, and contact the Conservancy officers to discuss further. If you want to do a project you think is important, but don’t see it on this list, please feel free to propose it!
- Pollinator Garden Enhancement
- Located just north of Highlands apartment complex; needs weeding and planting of additional wildflower species.
- Trails Map Update
- Current map is 4+ years old; work with MSU GIS program student (as class project) to re-survey and update map features.
- Western Route Upgrade
- Essex County has agreed to fund this; work with County and contractor(s) to clear, grade and re-surface route from the end of Courter Lane to where the route meets the main Reservation service road.
- Forest Canopy Gap Identification
- Storm blow-downs and death from disease have created gaps in the Hilltop’s forest canopy where invasive plants are moving in; map large gaps via GPS and identify target areas for future native tree planting.