Our Conservancy‘s MISSION is to keep the Hilltop Reservation as a nature preserve that provides habitat for native plant and wildlife species; and a site that provides respite, enjoyment and learning activities to the community.
- A “leave it as you found it” philosophy.
- Curiosity for the natural world and learning opportunities for children of all ages.
- Respect for wildlife, natural places and visitors.
- This nature preserve as a community treasure.
- Our role as stewards of the Hilltop Reservation property.
- Abundant native plants and animal species in residence:
- Restoring wildlife habitat in the Hilltop’s grasslands, forests and wetlands to provide food and shelter for native birds, mammals, reptiles and pollinators
- Controlling foreign invasives to mitigate these species’ negative impacts on habitat quality
- A “go to” place for hikers, birders and other nature enthusiasts, learning projects and those interested in the simple beauty of a nature preserve:
- Providing and maintaining the Hilltop’s trails network, including signage and connections to other local trails
- Creating a trails map and wildlife checklists to familiarize visitors with the Reservation
- Lively and ongoing communication with the community about activities and status:
- Maintaining a website with information about the Reservation, Conservancy projects and events
- Providing regular updates via subscriber list emails and social media postings
- Increasing the the number of friends of the Hilltop by growing membership in the Conservancy
- Working with local municipalities, non-profit groups and service organizations to make improvements